JFS Syrian Refugee Humanitarian Project
In 2016, when over 5 million refugees had already fled Syria, JFS responded to the crisis by leading the JFS Syrian Refugee Humanitarian Project, a coalition of 17+ partner organizations from area synagogues, Islamic centers, academia, and the medical community. With the support of hundreds of volunteers and donors, JFS case managers resettled families from Syria in the Metrowest area and continues to help them overcome the challenges New Americans face when building a life in the United States.
These families are on the path to self-sufficiency and JFS will resolutely stand by these young victims of the Syrian war, every step of the way.
Follow the story of the JFS Syrian Refugee Humanitarian Project:
- JFS and MFA Mobilize Boston to Provide Critical Supplies to Refugees in Syria
- The Big Picture, Yearning to breathe free Photography by Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff
- JFS Team Leaders to Receive 2017 Sharp Rescuer Prize for JFS Syrian Refugee Humanitarian Project
- JFS Syrian Refugee Humanitarian Project Featured in The Fenway News May 2017
- The Boston Globe Follows the Work of JFS of Metrowest in Resettling Refugee Families from Syria, Boston Globe March 23, 2017
- JFS Metrowest Leads the Way in Resettling Syrian Refugees, JewishBoston.com February 12, 2017
- Communal Joint Statement on Immigration and Refugees, JCRC January 2017
- Heartbreak and anger follow Trump’s immigration order, Boston Globe January 28, 2017
- Local temples, agencies, resettling Syrian refugees, Jewish Advocate December 9, 2016
It is with sincere and heartfelt appreciation for their hard work and dedication that we say goodbye to Marc Jacobs, Diana O’Brien, Raquel Woodard, Risa Lifshatz, Myrna Winter, Stephanie Rohr, Danny Woodward, Maggie Kenney, and Anniey Michelson as they leave JFS and move on to new adventures – best of luck to all!read more
Read the Boston Globe article, “Repaying a kindness: Resettled Syrian tailor shares mask-making skills with those who guided him to safety” by Jenna Russell (photos by Suzanne Kreiter/Globe Staff) – learn how one refugee family is working to help keep those most vulnerable safe during this difficult time. Order masks or donate today!read more
Earlier this spring, JFS of Metrowest, in partnership with the Multifaith Alliance for Syrian Refugees (MFA) and generous support provided by The Shapiro Foundation, committed to sending a shipboard container full of personal care, medical and other supplies to...read more